What Do Brake Pads Do?
They create friction. For them to do that, though, brakes must fasten brake calipers to their corresponding brake rotors. The resistance that results slows a vehicle's wheels and stops its tires. How well brake pads do this job for any vehicle, however, depends on their type.
What are the Different Types of Brake Pads?
There are four primary ones:
- Organic brake pads are the most dependable for everyday driving, relatively cost-effective, easier on rotors, and low brake-dust producers. Most cars and SUVs use these.
- Metallic brake pads have a firmer feel and withstand both high heat and brake fade. Some cars and SUVs use these.
- Ceramic brake pads are better in bad weather, fairly quiet, and producers of less sticky brake dust. Many sports cars and performance SUVs use these.
- Carbon fiber brake pads are the most resilient, tolerant of extremely high temperatures, and deliver the most stopping power -- so, they're generally the best performers. Some high-performance vehicles use these.
When Do Brake Pads Need to Be Replaced?
Unfortunately, none last forever. You should change brake pads, then, about every 40,000 to 50,000 miles. However, keeping an eye out for signs of brakes going bad is just as important. Besides the obvious lights on the dash (ABS and brake warnings, specifically), they include:
- Damaged or decayed pad surfaces
- Whining noises when braking
- Longer slowing and stopping times
- Vibrating when braking
- Grinding sounds
The last symptom usually means rotor warp, if not outright damage, likely due to brake pads having worn out completely.
The Best Brake Pads for Kia Vehicles
Looking to buy new ones? Be sure to order genuine OEM: the brake pads that Kia designs come guaranteed to fit your model. Our auto parts store has the selection you've been searching for. Buy online today!
No results found for "brake pad". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!